fot

Re: fluid dampers for spits

To: Roberttten@aol.com
Subject: Re: fluid dampers for spits
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 18:31:23 -0700
Bob,
There are two different aluminum bell housings.  One is much thicker and almost
looks like it was cast from the same molds as the cast
iron ones.  THe other is rather flimsy and probably is the one you had fail on
you.

I have two of the heavier ones, one I have been using for the past 3 years on
my street Mk1 Spit with no problems.  The other is on the
Mk1 race car (autocrosser) I am building.  Hopefully, it won't give me any
problems.

Both types, I understand, are from Herald Transmissions.

On the Aluminum flywheel, I got one from Ted Schumacher.  ALthough I have yet
to complete the project, I am in the final throws of
getting it together and should know how well it performs by the end of July.

I am now in possession of a Fiberglass bonnet made by SAH in the 60's that is a
LeMans Spit replica.  It looks very neat and only
weight about 35 pounds.  I have decided not to mount the superstructure so it
will not hinge, but rather lift off.  I also cut the
hinge brackets off the GT6 rotoflex chassis, there is no place to mount the
hinges!  Since the chassis is from a Mk3 GT6, the hinges
were not correct anyway!

Regards,

Joe Curry