fot

Re: One less Triumph

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, fot@autox.team.net, BerrethJeromeN@jdcorp.deere.com,
Subject: Re: One less Triumph
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:46:11 EDT
In a message dated 07/24/2000 12:34:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
vinttr4@geneseo.net writes:

<< Tony started the Enduro, and about halfway through, the left rear axle
 broke while the car was in the middle of the carrousel, probably
 traveling 90 mph. The corner workers say it rolled three times. It did
 not hit the wall. The in-car video tape is spectacular.  >>

Amici:

As one of the few from the fold who was still present at ROAD AMERICA late
yesterday afternoon for the ENDURO, I can attest to how sad this incident
was.  Uncle Jack's car was clearly one of my favorites, and the meticulous
way he prepared and maintained it was a fooler to the uninformed, because as
anyone who has raced against Uncle Jack and Tony knows, they DROVE THE WHEELS
OFF THAT CAR.  Well, while the latter is normally an exciting metaphor, late
yesterday afternoon it could be taken literally.  Thank God Tony is OK.  ROAD
AMERICA has always been an incredibly forgiving track, and as such many have
talked down the CART imposed gravel collectors because if you don't go in
straight, you've 'bought a roll.'  People say, "They might be fine for CART,
but they sure tear up our cars."  Dr. Jim Beck's beautiful Alloy Jag rolled
at 20 mph in turn five last year.  We lost a GREAT TRIUMPH TR4 yesterday, but
I think Tony would tell you, "The gravel trap did it's job.  If not for the
gravel trap, I would have hit that wall at 90 mph+."  We'd rather have Tony,
then that TR4.

Bill Dentinger

PS

Tony was not the only one with three wheeler escapades.  FOT member Jeff
Snook lost a wheel on his LOTUS 11, and hit the wall.  Shades of Mid-Ohio.

There was a ten car pile up in the MONOPOSTO race, and one of the others hit
a Safety Vehicle.

The worst incident involved two HIGH POWERED open wheel cars who touched in
11B (between the Kink and Canada corners) during a Thursday practice session.
 The cars disintegrated, and one driver has SERIOUS head injuries (although
he did speak a few words on Sunday, so let's hope for the best.

FOTer Pat McMullin brought some 'North Carolina' sunshine to the Beady Eye
Paddock.  He can't swear Jr. Johnson made it, but that's a good guess.  Half
of the 'North Carolina Sunshine' was still left by Sunday night, so we gave
it to Jack Drews to take home.  Tony and Jack are gona need it.  It's the
ULTIMATE PAIN MEDICATION.