fot

The charm of Motor racing -non tec

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: The charm of Motor racing -non tec
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:53:29 +0100
FOTers

My wife Julia came with me to the Coys International Festival at
Silverstone last Sunday and as is her way, when I'm off somewhere, she'll
sit and chat with the ladies.

I was in the paddock, in my own little world, amidst seven 250F Masers and
as I was drooling over the shear beauty of those cars and how I'd like to
marry one, I noticed Julia wandering up with a small silver haired lady. I
took no notice and walked over to talk to a couple of pals.- I couldn't
help eyeballing Julia because she was laughing and smiling with the lady
and they were both pointing at things on a 250F Maser. I then snuck off to
the 'Scarf and Goggles' for a pint with the boys.

When I got back to base I bumped into Mike Walker (F5000 driver) who I
hadn't seen for about 30 years. As we were chatting at the bar, Julia came
up and introduced me to her new found friend ' Maria'. I was totally in awe
of the fact that the little old grey haired lady Julia had befriended was
none other than MARIA TERRESA de PHILIPIS (sp) who I saw drive a 250F Maser
in the British Grand Prix circa 1958. This delightful Italian lady had
flown in from Italy to drive a 250F again in a demonstration race. She must
be 75 years 'young' or more and before driving a  250F later she had to be
packed forward in the seat with blocks of 4 inch foam rubber strips so she
could reach the pedals.- Talk about 'bottle.' To see her drive off in that
car made me choke with admiration - and just about everyone else.

I think Maria T. De Philipis remains the only post war lady Grand Prix
driver - unless I've forgotten someone.

Paul