fot

Re: What Are SCCA Racecars using For Axles ?

To: BillDentin@aol.com
Subject: Re: What Are SCCA Racecars using For Axles ?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 10:14:23 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 BillDentin@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 08/01/2000 6:10:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
> rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu writes:
>
> << the SCCA will not allow alternate differential
>  housings.  The internals
>  (axles, diffs, etc) are free, but the housing must remain the original
>  item. >>
>
> The logic escapes me.

Hi,

I'm not defending any logic here, but the idea behind the production
classes is that they are production based. Allowing swaps for alternate
parts leads to all sorts of "interpretations", and I think they're trying
to avoid that particular outcome (no offense meant to any "rules
interpreters" out there.)

Now, if SCCA adopted the correct notion that virtually every other rules
racing body in the US and possibly the world that the V8 based Ford rears
(for example) are a satisfactory substitute for the original production
parts and made the rule strict enough to disallow changes in track or
wheelbase - then they could just move on (instead of endlessly debate the
issue).

That's the way I see it.

My personal opinion is that SCCA is basically wrong in this regard. They
allow alternate transmissions in Prod classes (lots of folks seem to use
Jericho), so they should allow alternate rears.

> Bill Dentinger

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |