fot

Re: TR3 Rear Brakes

To: "Henry Frye" <thefryes@iconn.net>, "jaboruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Rear Brakes
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 23:18:28 -0700
To get better braking on the rear of a TR-3 or 4 it is necessary to increase
the size of the rear cylinders or increase the diameter of the rear drums to
the 10 inch drums from the 9 inch units.  The larger drums give more
leverage, hence more braking effort.  The brakes do not acutually more much
fluid at all, they work on pressure.  The larger the piston area, the
greater the force transfer.   1 square inch in the master cylinder with 100
lbs. force on it = 100 lbs. per square inch.  Then a 2 square inch wheel
cylinder  will recieve the 100 lbs. of pressure on its' 2 square inches =
200 lbs. of pressure.  A 3 square inch wheel cyliinder will give 300 lbs. of
pressure.  A 1/2 square inch wheel cylinder will give only 50 lbs. of
pressure in the example.

Regards,

Greg Solow