fot

RE: Additional SCCA Questions ?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Additional SCCA Questions ?
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 11:47:54 -0700
  [I'm trying to work my through a considerable pile of mail that built up
  in my absence.  This message was delayed due to not being sent in plain text.
  It may be a little stale by now.  mjb.]

Seems to me that the big issue is not axle breakage but wheel loss. The
problem is that when the TR3/4 axle breaks there is nothing to retain the
wheel. I suggest we initiate a project to modify stock TR3/4 rear ends to
retain the bearing securely--in other words to float the axles and have most
if not all of the car's weight supported by the axle housing. I know it
sounds like a big project, but spent some time doodling and I think it's
quite doable. It would probably eliminate most of the axle breakage problems
at the same time since the only load would be torque. The TR axles are
really quite stout--I've never heard of anyone twisting one apart as we see
with the MGA axles.

The modification would require (as least as I doodled it) a new hub assembly
and new bearings and retainers. The housing would need to be cut and the new
bearing assemblies welded on. We might be able to find a reasonable donor
part. The biggest trick will probably be making the original brake system
work, and winding up with a part that looks stock (vs. dropping in a Ford
rear end).

The open issue is what the sanctioning bodies would say. For my part, I'd do
it and not worry about it.

I could probably get away with a Ford rear end in Peyote--most tech
inspectors looking at it are surprised that it's a TR3 rear end! But within
reason I want to keep the car true to it's genesis. That desire stops
abruptly where there is a good chance of turning it back into the rumpled
beercan from whence it came. I've seen the video (Thanks Tony and Jack) and
I don't feel the need to experience a triple Lutz toe loop double Kamel
sowcow with a forward flip (at least that's what it looked like to me) for
myself.