fot

Re: US Triumph Racing History

To: mlcooknj@bellatlantic.net
Subject: Re: US Triumph Racing History
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:01:42 EDT
Mike

    I have been gradually accumulating old Sport Car issues at various
events. I rarely see issues of Sports Car Graphic, old Autoweeks and not
familiar with the other publication. Do you know of anyone who sells complete
sets?

    Mike, your explanation was very helpful. Do I understand that prior to
1964 that there were simply regional/divisional championships? Do you know
when that started?  Would these too be covered in the magazines?

    I did receive a couple other direct e-mails about this era of SCCA racing
from other FOT members. Their recollections differed slightly from yours with
respect to the early races. I may be the only one who is interested and
uninformed, so I am going to limit future question about this era. I looking
for a good book on this time period, any recommendations?

    I was at Pebble Beach over the weekend. As I watched the judging, I began
to wonder if the very gray haired judges (as opposed to my partially gray and
well thinned hair) had any replacements in training. I also wondered what
would happen to the cars. Then I began to wonder about the fate of the
Triumph race cars whose history is being obscured by the focus on the more
elite brands and well publicized racers.

    Books such as what you have written help preserve that history. However,
I think there is a need to go further to document the past racing so that it
is readily available for others to appreciate. Frankly, until I began going
through old Sport Car magazine looking for the history of the Lorincz
Spitfire, I never fully appreciated how prevalent and successful the Triumphs
have been in US racing.

    It has been interesting of late that there has considerable chat about
some of the old race cars and former racers. I have learned a lot from those
chats. Maybe I am the only one. But I want to let the rest of you know that I
do enjoy the exchange of information. Thank You.

    I certainly did not mean to criticize any one of the authors on the FOT
list by my previous comments. I know that the investment of effort in writing
books is seldom properly compensated. I was suggesting more that we
collectively should do something to more extensively document past history.

Respectfully yours, Cary