fot

Sebring drivers

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sebring drivers
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:04:33 +0100
Hi FOTers

Whilst we're on racing history in the States, I wonder if any of you can
help me -  For some time I've been trying to trace the whereabouts of the
underlisted American works TR drivers who drove for my father in the first
International TR racing events in the States at Sebring  in 1957and 8. I
have several photos of them - including color slides. Dear old Mike
Rothschild was one of course. He won the 1st in class award with Johns in
1957, and Bob Oker and Ed Pennybaker were second in class behind them. In
this race only half the field finished and the TR's finished in front of
every other 'imported' car in the GT Class. My father always remembers this
race because of Bob Oker's superb drive under 'adverse' circumstances. The
clutch failed on the Oker/Pennybacker car very early on in the race and Ken
- being Ken - said to Bob 'you'll have to drive the car without the clutch
- it's easy'. To his great credit Bob Oker drove the clutchless TR for
almost eleven hours non stop apart from fuel. When the race was over he was
almost totally exhausted.

The names I hope to trace are:-

L.D  Heuss. originally from Dallas, Texas
R.D Johns.                       Bradford, Pennsylvania
R.E. 'Bob' Oker.                Whittier, California
J.E. 'Ed' Pennybacker.    Ed was living at  Nachtigallen Weg 1,
Frankfurthocks', Germany, circa that time (he was on overseas National
Service). He raced and rallied a TR in Europe prior to Sebring. In fact in
April 1954 - yes 1954 - he won the over 1600 cc class in the 'Rally
Trifels' in Germany which was the first TR success in Germany. I also feel
sure that Ed was the first American to win a major award in a TR in a
European rally.

I know it's a long shot - but wouldn't it be nice to find out that some of
these first American works drivers were still around?

Best wishes
Paul