fot

RE: caster

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: caster
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 08:14:00 -0400
Quite some time ago, I used to autocross my street car, a 1980 Buick Regal
Limited.  It was a plush car with a little 265 cubic inch V8.  It was
severely top heavy and initially would roll onto the sidewalls quite
readily, even with AutoX tire pressures above 50psi.

Although I did not add much CAMBER to the OEM alignment specs, maybe an
extra 1/2 degree, I ended up running the car with 11 degrees of CASTER.
This allowed the front wheels to really "lean into" the turns, keeping the
tread much flatter, without influencing street driving significantly.
Remember though, this car had power steering and it didn't "feel" much
different at the steering wheel.  Yes, even with GM's police pursuit
suspension pieces, Moog progressive rear coil springs and KYB shocks, she
still wallowed somewhat, but we almost always finished in the top third of
our class (big 'merican cars and small imports together), much to the
dismay of the smaller, sportier cars who were frequently left scratching
their heads, wondering.  ;-)

Later,

Jack (looking for some caster on my TR3) Brooks
1960 TR3A
1980 TR8
1974 Norton 850 Commando
Hillsdale, NJ