fot

Re: TR6 Rear Hub Question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Rear Hub Question
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:27:43 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I noticed a bit of a "clunk" in the race car last event and it took me
'till last night to "get a round-tuit". Anyway, instead of the prescribed
.002" of end float, the number was "much larger". Seeing that I still
haven't recieved my new magnetic base for my dial indicator, I was unable to
measure exactly how much, but figure .060" at least.

The problem turns out to have been the lock nut and the adjusting
nut turning on the axle. This is not supposed to be, as the lock washer
has a "d-shaped" hole that corresponds to the shape of the threaded part
of the stub axle. Well, it looks like the d-shaped hole is now "almost"
round.

I'll take the hub apart and replace the lock washer, but I was wondering
if anyone out there in Triumph land has seen this before.

I'm guessing the problem stems from the end float having been set too
loose to start with, but it _should_ have been right from the get-go. My
current theory is that the lock-washer is "soft".

Time to dust off the PlastiCard and convert to Corvair axles, I guess.

On the plus side, I didn't suffer an axle failure, but I very easily
could have. _That_ would have been a "bad thing".

I'd appreciate any feedback.

later,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |