fot

Re: Spitfire overdrive gearbox questions

To: racespit@netzero.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire overdrive gearbox questions
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 22:08:45 EDT
In a message dated 9/27/00 9:45:46 PM EDT, racespit@netzero.net writes:

> Brad has very nicely found an overdrive gearbox for my street
>  Spitfire Elliott -- it is a single-rail tranny with J-type O/D
>  with the ID number WH19255 and was sold to him by Scott at Team
>  Triumph as a Spitfire box.  The guy who is rebuilding it thinks it
>  is a close-ratio box and that it might be for an MG Midget.  Now,
>  the WH prefix does not show up as being a Spitfire ID number in my
>  Vicky Brit catalog -- does anyone out there know what a WH box
>  fits, and if the input shaft will fit a 1300 Spit engine?

Susan, if I read my John Kipping Triumph Spares catalogue correctly, the WH
prefix indicates a Dolomite 1850 application. Glancing at the VTR Web site's
table of "small car gear ratio sets"
<http://www.vtr.org/maintain/gearbox-ratios.html>, the original Dolomite 1850
gearset falls somewhere in between the wider ratios of a single-rail Spit
1500 gearbox and the closer ratios of, say, a GT6 or late Vitesse gearbox.

What's the diameter and number of splines on the input shaft? It might
already have the Spitfire input shaft fitted. (ISTR the Spitfire used a 7/8"
input shaft while the GT6, later Vitesse and probably Dolomite 1850 had a 1"
shaft. Someone will know better than I about that.)

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register