fot

RE: Flywheels and clutches

To: "R. Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Flywheels and clutches
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:59:17 -0700
All this is particularly relevant to me since I broke my flywheel bolts at
the last race. I've got a Tilton aluminum flywheel on Peyote, and it was
damaged a bit when the bolts broke. there are some gouges in the aluminum
and the dowel hole is chewed up. I was planning to have the bolt holes
drilled slightly to accommodate shouldered bolts, probably ARP stuff, and
have two new dowel holes drilled (abandoning the old one, and probably
filling it with epoxy) and use two dowels instead of one. The crank is
drilled for two. Then I'd have the thing rebalanced.

There's little hope in drilling the crank for more dowels--it's a Moldex,
and cobalt drills don't even mark it.

So my question is, am I delusional thinking I should save this flywheel?
It's not damaged very badly, but it will take a bit of work to fix it. And
is it important to rebalance it with all the dowels and bolts in place? Last
but not least, does anyone have a good recommendation for what the bolts
should be.