fot

Re: EP results a.k.a. Triumphs at the Rainoffs(noTM)

To: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>, John Wiseman <wiseman@titan.com>
Subject: Re: EP results a.k.a. Triumphs at the Rainoffs(noTM)
From: rjl6n@cstone.net (R. John Lye)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:26:06 -0400
Hey Bob,

At 10:39 AM 10/10/00 -0400, Bob Lang wrote:
>I saw the race on TV... The EP race was pretty bad vis-a-vis Triumphs.

Yeah, the Triumphs had some bad luck.

>The track appeared to be fairly dry at the start of the race, but I'm
>sure the conditions were otherwise miserable with temps in the low to
>mid-forties and damp. Track temp was "nil".

That's putting it mildly - after a day of cold, wet mist (and no furnace
in the RV), it felt even colder than it was.  Of course, swapping out
a rear axle in Chip's car between the time that the PA announcer
said "second call for EP cars to the grid" and "third call for EP
cars to the grid" did warm us up a bit!

> From the results, it appears that Halkias managed about 9 laps before
>retiring.

I don't know how bad the damage actually was, but it didn't look
good (it put Bob Boig out of the race as well, but a bit later on).

>Dave Wingett and Mark Gerdes recorded exacly zero laps, but I
>don't think that Gerdes took the green at all.

Mark lost a motor in qualifying, as I understand it (J.K. or Dave
can probably supply more details).  Speaking of which, I wonder
if J.K. has defrosted yet?

>As for the race itself, it was actually pretty exciting, with a number of
>laps in the books with 1st, through 4th place runners all within a short
>interval - basically nose to tail. The winner was John Baucom in a Fiat.

Several spectators stopped by our trailer to tell us that the E-Prod
race was the best one that they'd seen up to that point anyway.
We were pleased with a third place finish after all the frustrations
we had to deal with in impound/protest central.

Thanks for the summary Bob,

R. John Lye

rjl6n@cstone.net