fot

Re: PIR

To: gasket.works@gte.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PIR
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:34:15 EDT
I assume you guys will be ready in time for Las Vegas?

Anyone willing to include me in on extra crew passes? I still plan to be
there in November...perhaps after slipping into LA to pick up Brad Kahler's
new mechanical Joy.

We (Kent, Joe, & Jack) will provide a report..perhaps trackside, if Kent
brings laptop, while in Texas next weekend.

Joe

<< Casual note on PIR..this past weekend.

 Incredible weather and track-side ambiance.

 However, the Full Mooon on Friday the 13th though appearing pleasing and
 warm was full of gloom for Paul Smock and myself.    I had a singularly
 unique mechancial failure.  The plug (3/4") on the middle of the head on the
 manifold side corroded while at speed...ALL the water came out and into the
 block...  The Oil floated to the top and the pump pushed water to the
 bearings instead of oil...  The resultant mixture gushed everywhere and made
 a substantial mess.  We tore the engine down on Sat. night and were going to
 replace the pistons and bearings..but the damage was more than repearable at
 track side.

 This "plug" is made from aluminum and just corroded through... BEWARE.

 In my next motor I'm going to put in a Zn sacreficial anode.  I think it is
 obtainable via Marine shops.

 Paul "Smokin Smock"  had one hell of a weekend.  Our race group was placed
 with the next higher group (DP).  Well he smoked all of them and had the
 pole position for the race!  He was flying.  The motor had that good crisp
 sharp tone---Music.

 He unfortunately, over-reved and broke the motor on the front straight
 during the last minutes of the race....  Oil spilled and slicked the
 tires...The front-end came around and "touched'' the "k'' rail wall while at
 speed.... As another driver so succinctly put it on a recent video...
 "that sucks".

 Mordy