fot

Re: (no subject) Marlboro Race Track

To: Rosspemlee@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: (no subject) Marlboro Race Track
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:10:43 EDT
In a message dated 10/16/00 6:39:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Rosspemlee
writes:

<< An old friend went by a year or so ago and most of the track was still
there >>

I am glad to hear that that some resemblance of this track still exists.  I
forget which one was to be redeveloped for apartments.

There was another track (I assume long gone) in the Reading/Lancaster area.
The straight was a closed off airport runway.  The rest of the track was
roads winding around army barracks.  On my first trip to this track, I blew
out a trailer tire on the PA Turnpike and didn't have a spare.  It was then
that I first discovered that the tire was a 14 1/2" house trailer tire, and
that just any old car tire will not fit.  I left the car/trailer on the
turnpike and drove another 75 miles before getting another house trailer tire
mounted.

Upon returning, there was a trailer truck in front roping off my TR-3 and
trailer, and nobody around.  I threw the roping equipment over the guard
rail, installed the wheel, hooked up, and went on.  These problems caused me
to miss all the practice sessions.  Starting the race at the back of the
pack, I made a wrong turn and started down an active airport runway.  I
looked up and there was a four engine plane starting to take off.

I then ran off into the wet infield and headed for some corner workers a few
hundred yards away.  They waved me back onto the track and I finished the
race.  Later I was told the three 4WD's were chasing me around in the infield
but couldn't catch me.

Being a rainy day, I kept moving to our remote pit area so that I wouldn't
get stuck.  We loaded up and left without seeing the Chief Stewart since
nobody in our area realized that he was looking for me.  Memories of the 60's.