fot

Re: Hubs

To: SpiwakD@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hubs
From: Tony Drews <tmccis@REVEALED.NET>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 18:54:35 -0500
I'm not aware of any of the new design hubs that has broken.  The issue appears
to be that the hub and axle are two separate pieces, and the combination is not
nearly as strong as a combination hub / axle.  The Southwick axle conversion
(being "tested" this weekend) uses a one piece axle / hub.  The other "bolt in"
conversion mentioned used that concept as well, I'm pretty sure.

So, it appears that improved stock style hubs eliminate the hub breaking
problem,
but improved stock style axles do NOT eliminate the axle breaking problem.  The
axle flexes within the hub and eventually breaks, especially when subjected to
extended side loads.  We timed the carousel at Road America, and we are in the
turn at pretty much maximum side load for 13 seconds straight!

- Tony Drews
Crash test dummy...