fot

FLYWHEEL Coventry (long - and with FI overtones)

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: FLYWHEEL Coventry (long - and with FI overtones)
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:39:52 +0100
Listers of several groups

I apologise in advance for the length of this post. It is a precis of
one I sent out a few days ago to test water temperature and the
response was a lot more encouraging than I had thought would be the
case. Because of this, I have decided to break cover to a wider
audience.

>>From my own private email, I am convinced there are many Triumph enthusiasts
around the
>world who want to know more about the WHOLE range of cars, rather than just
>those that
may
>be popular in their own homeland. What's more, I believe these enthusiasts
>want to know
>how the cars of others are being used and maintained, see what other owners
>have to say.
>Because of this, I'm sure there is room for a 'local' Triumph publication
>that's global
in
>its readership.
>For well over a year, I have played idly with the concept of a Triumph
>'ezine'. I know
>others have gone down this road in the past but these are either model
>dedicated or ASCII
>formatted - or both. I am finding ways of
>still keeping in touch with Triumph happenings on a global scale via the Mark
>Bradakis
>lists - and reading them gives me much pleasure. While Mark's efforts and
>those of others
>are to be highly commended, distance often precludes us from 'getting closer'
>to the cars
>and owners that entertain us.
> It is abundantly clear that Triumphs are alive and
>well throughout the world, giving all of us enjoyment and a few headaches (me
>included)
as
>well! Presently, the only way all of us can communicate our joys, woes and
>"how do I do
>that?" are via club mags, email lists, some webrings, a plethora of owner
>websites and
the
>clubs to which we belong. You may disagree - but I feel there is another route
>that could
>be explored in which we could stretch our awareness of global Triumph doings
>and all be
>potential contributors to a global forum. Simply, we could do this via an
>'ezine' type of
>publication. In this way, we might be able to better enjoy the doings of our
>fellows -
>wherever they may live - and participate in reports of how Triumphs are being
>enjoyed and
>used, far beyond our own national frontiers.
>With all this in view, I have come to the end of creating a dummy ezine type of
>publication  as a 'taster.' It's free to anyone who wants to see it before
>forming an
>opinion this project is viable - or indeed whether it comes up to their
>expectations. The
>'dummy,' in its current unzipped form runs to about 1.8 mb and 10 double-sided
>pages.
I plan to send it as a .pdf file in Adobe Acrobat if there is evident support.
>I am proposing six annual issues, though the amount of incoming
>material might make each issue fairly variable in size. As it stands, the
>taster is
rather UK biased - but it's only a
>dummy. I have no intention of ever putting this material on the internet as a
>website
under my own or another's control.
>The concept is that the ezine
>is a 'club' magazine without there being a formal or informal club structure.
>The 'club'
>already exists from Triumph enthusiasts having internet / email access. In
>this way, it
>really could be a global publication at a local level.
>If it goes ahead, is there likely to be a cost?
>Yes - a VERY nominal one. I've already bounced this idea with a number of
>enthusiasts on
>either side of the Atlantic and given them an idea of the likely cost. Their
>were to the effect that it was effectively a giveaway. You'll see what I've
>got in mind
>money-wise when you read the dummy - but the income raised would be used to
>meeting
>charges levied by organisations having material likely to be of interest but
>still
>copyright protected. This means that costs to obtain such articles,
>photographs and
>reproduction rights are inevitable. I propose reports from Triumph Clubs
>throughout the
>world (and not just in English) articles and pix from whoever wants to send
>them and the
>opportunity to re-print articles from previous club magazines that Editors
>agree to
>release in return for a credit, source acknowledgement or financial
>consideration.. I
feel