fot

C/R Gear Boxes

To: "Friend of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: C/R Gear Boxes
From: "David & Krystal Wingett" <elkhorn@megsinet.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:15:01 -0500
        Gee, I've seen this thread before in the last year.  For those that
have traveled the web you've probably already checked out the Close Ratio
Dog Gear set on the Racetorations web page.
        I  have been racing this type of gears for the past season and can
only compare them with the Hewland MK9 trans in a F/C I once owned. I had
originally inquired at Quaife about there C/R set and they turned me to
Dennis. I had the TR6 Box built by Dennis Vessy in North Lincolnshire,
England ( dennis.vessey@virgin.net ). Shipped to my door steep for around
$3K.
        It has held up extremely well.  The only mishap was when I used a
badly worn shifter and it popped out of the socket on a down shift at Road
America and locked between gears. That was the fourth race of a 10 race
National season and the Runoffs.  These are built proof and well suited for
any Vintage racing.  I don't have an old GCR, but tell me were Transmissions
"OPEN" or weren't they restricted to stock boxes with C/R gears?
        In the next 4 year evolutionary cycle of my car I will have to
decide between Ted's comp. Nissan,  Jamie Houseman's Toyota , a Jerico or
Dave Taylor's Sierra Quaife. BTW Taylor already has a complete set up for a
GT6 in his catalog.
            David W.