fot

Last race of 2000

To: VSCDA FV list <vvv@egroups.com>, Friends of Triumph
Subject: Last race of 2000
From: Mike Jackson <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 20:24:36 -0500
Friends,

Just a note from what I firmly believe to be the  last
vintage race of the year 2000.  The Florida Region SCCA
invited our little vintage group to be a support race prior
to a 24 hour endurance race this weekend.  On very short
notice (less than 3 weeks), we were only able to get 16
entries and 11 of those actually showed.  However, as we
watched the northern and midwestern weather reports in awe,
this little group garnered about 1:45 in track time over the
two days of  Dec 29/30.  And all for the throwback price of
$80.  Is it any wonder several of us choose not to enter the
HSR race a Moroso in 5 weeks.  Less track time for $300+

We had a good range of performances covered starting with my
friend Beau Gable in a Formcar FV, up thru a Sprite, a Mini,
my TR3, and Elva, Vette, two P...che 911s and a 914 and our
rarest entry, a freshly restored Mallock in it's first track
shakedown.  Winners and losers weren't important,
particularly to our pole sitter that spun 4 laps from the
end and had trouble getting his Porker restarted.  My TR3
ran well, it really liked that 40 degree weather we had this
AM. VSCDA member and part time Florida resident Bob
Youngdahl gave me a whale of a race until I ran out of
talent and demonstrated how well a tractor TR can actualy
plow ground when needed.  After we got disconnected and I
couldnt draft him to help make up the HP difference is was
pretty much a coast to the finish nearly a straightaway
behind him.

It was a nice laid back event with a year end lunch at the
track today just before the start of the 24 hour lunacy.
Our SCCA vintage group celebrated our 14th or 15th year of
existance, depending on who you believe.   Remarkably
enough, of the 11 assembled racers, several of us date back
to at least the 2nd year, and at least two were the true
pioneers.  One has promised to go thru all his personal
record and figure out just how many years it really is.  Ah,
the importance of history.  What can I tell ya, we done ate
the cake that had the 14 emblazoned in it's frosting so it
doesnt matter much anymore.

Hope some of you can come race with us in the future.
Happy New Year to all.  Our first SCCA vintage event is in
Feb at Sebring, come on down.

Mike Jackson