fot

RE: Spit Diff question

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>,
Subject: RE: Spit Diff question
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:04:03 -0600
Joe,

The Mk IV had a 4.11 ratio... and the big flange input and stub axles.

There is a distinct difference between the early (small flange) and late
diff's.  The input (pinion) shaft is approx 1/8" larger on the later diffs
(visual estimation... from memory late on a Friday night etc etc etc).  The
stub axles are also different, early stubs will spin freely in a late diff
carrier without engaging.

Since all year Spitfires (and GT6s) used the same u-joints, it's all a
matter of figuring what flanges are on the diff and matching flanges on the
prop shaft and axles.

So, back to your question.  No, you can't fit the early pinion in the late
casing (unless you do something like sleeve the pinion shaft or fit a
different bearing).

The early ring may fit on a late carrier (or TR7 4 speed carrier, they're
stronger).  And that carrier may fit in an early casing... if it works let
us all know!  :-)

Cheers,

Jim