fot

Racing Down Under - Part II

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Racing Down Under - Part II
From: Wes Dayton <wdayton@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:01:52 +1100
Okay - I got several response saying "let us know how you got on"!  On
the other hand, a few of you didn't appreciate being reminded that not
every driveway in the world was covered in snow at this particular time
of year.  But I shall persist.

No 29 ran perfectly all weekend - and if it wasn't for years of contrary
experience, I wouldn't have really needed to open the bonnet at all.
Fill it with petrol and head for the dummy grid.  Only problem that
persists are the mis-fires that seem to take place at critical corners
in the driver's brain - they seem to be increasing with advancing years!

Usual format was followed with practice Saturday morning and one scratch
race that afternoon.  Sunday morning was our handicap race and the
feature race was again a scratch race Sunday afternoon.  Our vintage
races are usually grouped into 11-12 different groupings (Early open
wheelers, Touring sedans etc) which sometime I will  (in a separate
posting) explain how we divide them up - I'd be interested in comparing
them with what you all have.

My race was for what is called Sa (Production Sports Cars up to1960).  I
managed a fourth place overall in both scratch races - the best I've
managed to date.  Winner was a Turner/Ford, second an MGA and third on
Saturday was an Elva Courrier (MGA engined) - and we we're at it "hammer
and tong" all weekend.  On Sunday I managed to win out over the Elva,
but a newly prepared early Healey 3000 finally got it all together and
blew past me on the final straight - sounding quite lovely which was
some small compensation for losing to him.

The only other thing I've wondered about is that I've heard that some of
you race where starts are "rolling starts"?  Recently I received a
letter from an Australian friend who is currently living and racing his
vintage F2 car on the U.S. East Coast and is finding the rolling starts
a "challenge".  Is that the case in some places?  If so, I certainly
guess it's probably a bit kinder on the equipment, but I think I'd miss
the fun of that moment that the flag falls (especially since I generally
make up a place or two at the start).

Car's now in the garage and ready for the next challenge - a long tow
down to Phillip Island at the end of February, a favourite track in
Victria out of Melbourne.