fot

VARA does Vegas

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: VARA does Vegas
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:08:39 EST
Greetings Amici,
The first VARA visit to Las Vegas for 2001is now in the past.  Over 160 cars
frolicked in the desert sun with no incidents beyond a few dust clouds.
The beautiful Saturday morning sunrise revealed a joyous sight.  The entire
South end of the Paddock was full of Triumphs with Spitfires being the
predominant species.  Second in numbers were the E-Ticket TR-4's, then GT6's
and a nicely prepped street TR6 out for his novice school.  Many more of the
Triumph regulars were absent and sorely missed.
Our cars all run in either E or F production and the racing was intense in
both groups with our marque prevailing one day or the other.  The Spitfires
did a particularly fine job of humbling the opposition even if sheer numbers
gave them the advantage.
Mechanical gremlins visited the group daily with heads and gearboxes claiming
an unusually high number of casualty's.  One TR was exhibiting a strange
intermittent miss that was finally diagnosed in the dark of night with a
timing light providing the strobe to expose the culprit. Miraculous repairs
followed that clever diagnosis.  A job well done!
All said it was a great weekend of superb weather, great racing and wonderful
friends.  We can't wait to get to the British Extravaganza at Buttonwillow
raceway park next month.
Steve