fot

Unmuffled race engine dB level

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Unmuffled race engine dB level
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:22:16 -0500
Dean VanDeCarr tells us his club is offering an hour of track time plus a
couple timed laps at Lime Rock on Saturday. Not all that unreasonably
priced, either. I was getting excited until I see on their application they
require muffled cars to keep the noise down to a level of 81 dB moving and
74 dB stationary.

That seems pretty darn quiet. My race car has the typical 4->1 header into
a flex pipe into solid 3 inch pipe exiting the back of the car. Anyone care
to guess how loud I am? Think they would let me run? Dean?

I am afraid I don't have the time to prep the race car AND cobble together
some sort of muffler by Saturday. It really would be nice to have the
Southwick axle on track before my first big tow.

Darn.