fot

Balance bar vs. TR6 MC summary

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Balance bar vs. TR6 MC summary
From: Don Marshall <marshall@nefcom.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:17:03 -0500
Amici:

I received numerous replies to my question about whether to install a TR6
brake master cylinder in my TR4A or stick with the dual MC setup I already
had but add a balance bar for adjustments.  Hopefully I answered everyone
directly, but I thought I'd summarize the results in case anyone else is
working through the same question.

Most responses indicated that installing the TR6 MC is the easiest way to
go if you're starting from scratch, since you can use a TR6 pedal box and
installation consists mainly of drilling appropriate sized holes and doing
some plumbing.  However, most also said that the TR6 MC by itself is a real
handful (or footful) on the track.  Using the stock TR6 booster helps a
lot, but makes it difficult to modulate the brakes while racing.  There is
also no adjustment capability to change the bias between front and rear
unless an in-line pressure adjuster is installed in one of the brake lines.

Some TR4 racers are using the GT6 MC with great success, and say it does
everything a TR6 MC would do but without the pedal force requirement.
Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a source of new GT6 MCs, at
least at a reasonable price, but Apple and others can resleeve them.

The balance bar, on the other hand, requires either buying a special pedal
set or engineering a way to mount the separate MCs and balance bar using a
TR6 or other pedal set.  The majority of responses indicated that the
balance bar is the best way to go in terms of getting the most out of the
race car.  As one put it, "if you want to go fast, use the balance bar
assy.  if you want simple, use the tr6."

I've opted to stay with the split MC setup because I already had most of
it, and will add the balance bar as soon as it arrives.  And, as Uncle Jack
said, "those three Tiltons standing proud on the firewall sure do look
cool."  Although in my case, they'll be 3 Girlings.

Cheers..
Don
TR4A #11