fot

State Fair

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: State Fair
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:04:57 -0600
I caught the movie "State Fair" late one night and was hooked by the
Devin in the opening credits, then I discovered it also starred
Ann-Margaret and I just had to watch. The race scenes had some great cars
of the late '50's and besides the cars mentioned also included a Cobra
and, I think two Lotus Elevens. Racing on a flat oval horse track is
something most of us probably have never done. They used to race
Championship (Indy) cars on horse tracks in the '50's.

The Devin, I believe was a V-8 car fitted with 3 duces, or at least was
dressed with induction parts in the centre of the bonnet. The V-8 cars
seem to be showing up at RMVR events lately and they are impressive.
Whether any of these are the car from the movie, I have no idea.

Learned a valuable lesson from watching that movie...

Never watch a Rogers & Hammerstein scored movie and then go straight to
bed. I had the music to "State Fair" running through my head for weeks!

The cars and Ann-Margaret were worth it though, much better than the
original from 1948, I think.

Keep an eye out for another Elvis movie, "Spin Out". It features a
McLaren that is owned by McLaren collector and vintage racer, Harry
Mathews. The car is painted as it was in the movie.

Bill
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!