fot

Re: how much off of the head

To: unv@psu.edu, WEmery7451@aol.com, HRPrentCo@aol.com
Subject: Re: how much off of the head
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 22:27:57 EDT
In a message dated 5/3/01 3:54:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time, unv@psu.edu
writes:

<< Subj:     how much off of the head
 Date:  5/3/01 3:54:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  unv@psu.edu (Dan Styduhar)
 To:    WEmery7451@aol.com, HRPrentCo@aol.com

 Hi Bill and Hardy,

 I need some help. I am having a TR4 and TR4A engine rebuilt.
 I am going to have .090 taken off of each head per Kastner's
 street prep recommendations. The shop I am having do the work wants to
 know how they can tell if any material has already been taken off of the
 head. What can I tell them to measure to check this. I sure would appreciate
 your help.

 Work on the plaque has come to a stand still. I have been very busy but
 I should be getting them done sometime this summer.

 Yours in Triumph
 TS25801L
 Dan Styduhar

Hi Dan,

It has been a long time.  My racing efforts have not been progressing very
well, since I have been forced into doing everything except what I want to be
doing -- working on the car.  I hope to make a few races later this summer.

I briefly tried to do some measurements with a poor depth gage and skills,
without taking time to clean off all of the carbon.  We are leaving for a
wedding in Delaware tomorrow.

A 0.125" thick aluminum bar was laid across the engine heads, and the
following approximate measurements were obtained:

    Head with approximately 0.180" removed to be used with flat crown
pistons:        0.570"

    Tabor Head with 0.150" removed to be used with popup pistons:
    0.587"

    Old grease head from the shelf, assumed to be stock:
        0.730"

You would subtract 0.125" from the above measurements.

If you are using the copper head gasket and not the steel shim gasket, this
exact measurement shouldn't be too critical.  You still might have to shim up
the rocker pedestal or use shorter push rods.

I am copying your message to the FOT membership in case someone has the exact
measurements, or can forward some information from the archives on this
subject.

I appreciate the help that you have given me in the past while trying to race
at the Ledges, and the racing Triumph videos that you have made.