fot

TR Tranny Question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: TR Tranny Question
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 14:57:09 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I'm at stage one of building my big TR close ratio gearbox. The donor is
an early TR6 'box (possibly late TR4A, the number is CD12xxx).

Anyway, part of the process is cutting down the mainshaft to accomodate
the caged bearing that fits inside the input shaft. The outer dimension of
the stock early shaft is fairly large and needs to be cut down quite a
lot, although I don't have a precise number, but it's more than .020",
for sure.

The bottom line is that I have to remove what appears to be a fairly
substantial amount of metal.

My question: will the removal of this material sufficiently weaken the
shaft?

If so, I'll probably order a later shaft from one of the sources - I'd
just like to use what I have on hand if I can. For example I have a
'box from a '72 TR6 and could possibly use that as the donor.

Thanks for any feedback.
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |