fot

TWS Marvelous May Races

To: rgk@flash.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: TWS Marvelous May Races
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 12:24:44 EDT
Great report. Thanks.

Observations....

Justin's Gasket...we needed to remove the valve cover at high heat at Road
America...it grew considerably, but it has been my experience that we can
squirm it back under the valve cover by progressively tightening the Nyloks
while sneaking the gasket back under cover...remain very pleased with gasket.

High Speed fuel starvation....Bill D is experiencing this in the
Thunderbolt...We just experienced it for the first time in #197 for the first
time in 9 years...we need some help.  (anyone?) Causes??? Kind of flatulant
flutter occured at about 5400 for a couple of seconds. This flutter was
improved upon with resetting of valves as they tightened up after head gasket
change. Some further improvement was experienced after fuel regulator
change...still fluttered, but was able to get to 6000 RPM...barely.

Interesting about the air dam...disallowed here in the north country....sorry
about that, as anything that makes the car run and handle better at low cost
is more fun.

Funny: MG referral as "MaGots".

Sorry to hear about Susan's pushrod bending.

<< FOT,
 Since today is the day for race reports, I'll fill you all in on the CVAR
 races this weekend. FOT with cars in attendance:
 Jeff Wilt, TR3A
 Susan Hensley, Spitfire
 John Price, TvR Vixen (TR6)
 BK, TR4
 FOT, sans cars:
 Richard Hardison, EP TR3A, "almost finished"
 Jim McAndrew, EP TR3 under restoration, Daytona Continental history
 Brad Kahler, EP TR3 for 2002
 Justin Wagner, jus' vistin'
 Rick Junkermeirer, CP TR6 under restoration

 First let me thank Justin for bringing me a new valve cover gasket. I
 destroyed my first one by removing it while hot. I can read, why didn't I?
 Also thanks go out to Brad for bringing me a set of NOS Yokohama 008R's. New
 as in lots of rubber left, Old as in no longer sticky! They will be mounted
 and used for warmup so that I can save my last goos set of tires and hope
 for help from the tire gods. Anyone want a set of widened stock TR wheels?
 Brad made me take them with the tires...

 Back to the racing. The weather was great, but hot all weekend. We'd start
 the day in the low 70's, and end up in the upper 90's. Great track
 conditions, but rather exhausting. We had 4 cars spread out in 3 groups.
 Jeff had lot's of fun in Group 4, running with the Formula Juniors. He's got
 a hankering for an O/D to go with the 4.10 gears to get more out of the car
 down the long straight. He ran well all weekend, but really needs to get off
 those street tires. John Price took out his TR6 powered TVR for the second
 time, and with a few tweeks to the engine and a tire pressure adjustment,
 brought his times down dramatically. Pretty car, which can go a whole lot
 faster. Susan was not so lucky. Her engine sputtered and died, and the
 resulting collection of bent pushrods put her on the trailer. Persisitence,
 patience, fortitude, and money, yeah that's what makes a vintage racer. Hang
 in there Susan, it'll come. You may remember me asking the group about
 addding a front spoiler to my TR4. I was hitting a wall on the TWS front
 straight watching the MagGots pull away. I'm here today to tell you that
 between pinning down the front of the bonnet and adding a TR6 front spoiler,
 I no longer have that problem. It's a joy to stay with the pack down the
 straight. Although I continue to struggle with a high rpm fuel starvation, I
 was able to stay with the lead group much of the time. Reeled off a 2:06
 lap, when the leaders were doing 2:04's. Finished 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th in
 my races, with 30 in the group. Yes, I am having fun.

 CVAR continues to grow. The groups are fielding larger and larger numbers,
 and we continue to have safe events. The only incidnet of merit all weekend
 that resulted in damage occured when an MGB, misssed a shift and hit the
 grass driving straight through a sand embankment. Quite a cloud. He lost
 both front and rear valances, a few scrapes and bruises. That's about it.

 Bob Kramer
 TR6, TR4A, TR4, 2.5PI
 Hill Country Triumph Club
 Corinthians Vintage Auto Racing