fot

What is Great Race?

To: 19to1tr6@mediaone.net
Subject: What is Great Race?
From: BRITPAC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 19:14:48 EDT
<<Steve if you have time can you fill us in on what your doing and what this
is race is all about . ?>>

The History Channel Great Race is an old car cross country rallye. It's in
it's 19th year. It runs a different course every year, and this one runs from
Atlanta GA. to Pasadena CA. The event covers almost 4,000 miles of backroads
through rural America. It starts Sunday the 17th and ends June 30.

It's a handicapped precision driving contest. All cars compete on the same
course, one minute apart. Close to 120 cars will be participating this year.
Navigation and timing is done with the route instructions, one speedometer,
one clock, a pencil and paper: that's it. No computers, nothing digital. Like
golf, closest to the ideal score wins. We won the rookie class last year with
.53 seconds of accumulated error. We also finished 5th in "Sportsman" class
(65 cars) and 15th overall (including expert and pro divisions).

This deal pays real money, too (unlike other forms of vintage racing): daily
prizes accrue along with the final score. We won over $10,000 last year in
cash and prizes.

Cars entered compete in several categories. To keep it even, there is a
handicapping system which takes time off of the final score. The older the
car, the more 'free time' is assigned, making it advantageous to run the
oldest car possible that can still do the job required.

All cars must be capable of achieving 60 mph, and overdrive units are
permitted. Over 40% of the field is Fords: a few Model T's, several Model
A's, and a number of V8's earlier than '42. Race cars are in evidence (open
wheel, open bodywork), as well as more traditional sedans. Cars can be
modified within GR rules, but the basic drivelines must be close to stock.
Hydraulic brakes, 12V electrics, and alternators are ok. Period modifications
are also permitted if they can be documented: a '37 engine in a '30 car will
handicap that car as a '37. Other popular models are Packards and Buicks.
Good hp is required to make sure you can sustain posted speeds on grades, at
altitude, and in headwinds: stamina is perhaps most important of all.

Any car or truck built before 1951 is eligible. Sports, racing, and
motorcycles through '59 were admitted last year. There will be a few more
sports cars this year. A 356, 2 MGTD's, 2 early 'vettes, a T-bird, a MB
190SL, and a Studie Hawk are entered this year (loose definition of 'sports
car'). Our 1957 TR3 will be running it's second cross country, and we've run
2 regionals. The TR is perfect for the race, as it was built with rallye work
in mind. Disc brakes and radial tires are a real advantage, and while tough
and powerful, it's small size and low clearance works against it on some of
those old rough roads out there.

For more info on how the race works, go to Greatrace.com. The press releases
are pretty helpful too.

Steve & Janet Hedke
1957 TR3 "Team Scrappy"
Great Race #45