fot

K & N Air Filters - GREAT way to clean 'em

To: Triumph Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: K & N Air Filters - GREAT way to clean 'em
From: Justin <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:19:08 -0700
Not long ago, I cleaned my Triumph's K&N filters the way I always have
in the past, but this time around, they just didn't clean up quite as
well.  I was starting to think that maybe it was time for new ones,
despite their relative youth.   Then I remembered that I had a bucket of
that stuff we've all seen on TV...  "OXI CLEAN".

Ladies and Gentlemen, I feel like one of those snake oil salesman at the
swap meet, but I can tell you, this stuff really worked wonders on the
filters.   I put some Oxi Clean into a bucket of relatively hot water...
like 3 tablespoons... and lowered the (technically already cleaned!)
filters into the bucket.

AMAZING....  An oil slick formed on the top of the bucket in seconds.
I agitated the filters, lifted them in and out, and the such for about 5
minutes and then pulled them out and rinsed them.   They were
spotless.   After they were dry, I sprayed them with the K&N Oil...  and
they had that great bright clean red oil look of new filters.

Honestly, this Oxi Clean did not live up to the TV show when it came to
cleaning surfaces in the bathroom and kitchen, but it does wonders for
cleaning stains in carpet and the such.... And now that you can buy the
small buckets from the likes of Cosco and RiteAide, I think it's worth
it to buy for the K&N's alone!

The only downside is that Oxi Clean is such a surfacant that the grease
wants to be everywhere except on the filters and in the water...
subsequently, it clings to the side of the bucket like glue!
Subsequently, I recommend that you use a disposable liner, like a
plastic bag, or a throw-away bucket.   Don't do it in your sink!

This suggestion is worthy of anyone's CAR TIPS files!

--Justin Wagner