fot

Pocono race

To: "Friends of Triumph" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pocono race
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:06:44 -0400
I raced at Pocono this past weekend, and the weather was typical for
Pocono, fog, rain, etc, at least for part of the weekend.  Saturday
started out foggy and rainy, but the fog lifted at about 10AM.  Due to
the delay, the morning warm-ups were cancelled. Our first session was
qualifying.  I went out and had a good run and the my coolant/water
stayed out of the oil, finally!  I ran a 1.50....  putting me second
overall for the qualifying race in the afternoon.  In that Q-race a
porshe 911, corvette and mustang got by at the start and I finished
5th overall but still 1st in class.  It started raining during the
race, and of course we were all on dry tires.  It was really coming
down at the north end of the track, and they put out the checkered
flag one lap early, no one complained.   Before the rain I got down to
a 1:48..., A class lap record.
    Sunday all the rain and fog was gone.  In our race I hung onto 6th
thru the 1st turn, when a MGB rear ended a Vette in turn 3, sending
the vette spinning and crumpling the nose of the B (who kept going
until the hood flew up).  The Vette never knew that he got hit until
the B driver appoligized.  The Vette had no damage.  I ran in third,
after getting by the Shelby mustang, keeping up with the front running
911 and a Volvo p1800, until the bracket holding the front sway bar to
a lower A arm broke.  By the time that happened we were way out in
front of the field, and I backed off, still finishing 3rd overall and
1st in class.  Looking at the angle iron bracket, it had been cracked
for a while.  It was about 25years old and was probably made from some
scrap 3/16 angle iron that the previous owner had laying around..
Anyway it is fixed and ready for Lime Rock this weekend.  Joe(B)

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!