fot

Re: Weber Chokes

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Weber Chokes
From: "Gary& Gretchen" <garygret@itis.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:14:15 -0500
Joe,

>From my limited experience I fear the larger chokes would wreck your low
end. I have an autocross TR-6 with triple SK's (Weber clone), good head and
exhaust with about 12:1 CR. The SKs came with 32mm chokes and I tried many
jet combinations to get it to run below 2000-2500RPM. It would buck, stutter
and sometimes backfire through the carbs quite badly at part to full
throttle if below that. Finally went down to 30mm chokes to improve the air
column velocity at lower RPM. Even though this in theory detracts somewhat
from power above 6000 RPM, I  figured in autocrossing I spend a lot more
time in the low- and mid-band than at peak R's. It improved the low-speed
flexibility enormously, and allowed the jet selection to work more as
expected. I did need to re-jet yet again after the change.

The carbs require a vacuum differential across the choke to work correctly.
While I am no expert, I believe too big a choke may be even worse at high
altitude.

Regards,
Gary Schneider
37 EP '62 TR4