fot

Re: TR4 Aluminum Flywheel Wanted

To: jaboruch@netzero.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Aluminum Flywheel Wanted
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:30:23 EDT
In a message dated 7/31/01 7:06:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jaboruch@netzero.net writes:

<< The flywheel is about 20 years old now, and don't know
 how easy it would be to replace. I don't know if Tilton would still
 make one.   It has been working great, and I can just replace the
 friction discs for about $160, when they wear down.  When I went to
 the T5 trans, I just had tilton make a disc set with a spline to match
 the T5 spline.  It made the swap so much easier.  Joe >>

The biggest problem that I have had with mine to date is accidentally
stripping some threads in one of the bolt holes while installing the plate.
It makes a lot of difference as to whether you use mineral oil, synthetic
oil, STP, various oils under the bolt head and the threads, etc.

I was supplied some super fancy bolts which were probably too short.  They
did not reach clear through the flywheel.  I took the flywheel to my
machinist along with some longer bolts, and he told me to just use the longer
bolts since there is still enough stock left in the one hole.  I put it back
together with grade 5 bolts and a little mineral oil on just the threads, and
it seemed to hold up all right.

Any suggestions as how to torque the pressure plate to the flywheel when
installing it?