fot

Re: 5 speed gearbox

To: "Hart" <wenal@adelphia.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5 speed gearbox
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 23:35:32 -0400
I did my own T5 conversion rather than spending the big$ on a new cast
bell housing (I also did not know that one was available).  I cut a
bell housing off of a TR tranny, made an adaptor plate that is now
welded to the TR bell housing, and fit a T5 to it.  So far so good.
This is my 2nd season with it. The T5's are rated for at least 225
foot-pounds of torque, and are used in V8 Mustangs and Camaros.  I
think that they can stand anything that a TR will put through them.  I
rebuilt my box over the winter (it was a junk yard box for $100).  I
spent $130 on a rebuild kit and $50 for a new 2nd gear and slider.
I'm not sure which box they are using for the comercially available
conversion.  There are T5's available with chevy cases, ford cases,
nissan  cases, jeep cases, and so on.   Joe(B)