fot

Flywheels

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Flywheels
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 00:46:38 EDT
<rjmunns@btinternet.com>

In a message dated 8/22/01 3:08:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rjmunns@btinternet.com writes:

<< I have to use a standard flywheel, i.e. I cannot use an aluminum one but
 can fit a 1300 flywheel to the 1500 engine. Do you know the weight
 difference between these two items? Plus what advantage will I get from
 doing this?

My TR-3 uses the Massy Ferguson tractor engine.  I have found a big
difference in weight with stock flywheels for this engine.  I wouldn't know
the weight difference for your engine.  Less metal, less weight.  You could
easily check the weight of both flywheels (or flywheel, pressure plate, and
disc assemblies) with baby scales.

Aluminum flywheels are pounds lighter.  In the early days of aluminum
flywheels, some people did not like the lighter flywheels.  They thought that
they caused the engine to shut down faster between shifts.  Now everyone
seems to be going for the lighter flywheels.  I started using an aluminum
flywheel a few years ago -- copied Jack Wheeler and Hardy.

The engine will wind quicker giving you quicker power.  In my case, I was
hoping to minimize the chances for cracking the three main crank at the rear
main, after three of these incidents over 37 years.  If your engine has five
mains, this might not be an issue.  Less rotating mass, less stresses on the
bearings, cranks, etc.

If you are not allowed to use aluminum, you cannot make your flywheel too
light.  Your limitations are how light you can make it without it failing.