fot

Tyres

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tyres
From: Wes Dayton <wdayton@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:20:33 +1000
    I am looking at my current set of Yokohama A008RSs (195x15) that
won't last more than one more meeting.  We have a restricted list of
approved tyres, and these Yokos are no longer available here in
Australia (last set sold a few weeks ago) - and I understand that is
also true elsewhere in the world. A real pity since they were not only a
great tyre, but they weren't too expensive either. The local dealers
tell us that we actually had supply longer than the rest of the world?
Another example of creative Australian "hoarding".

So my question for FOT is - what do you think is the best direction I
might take next? Our historic group means we must run 15" wheels and a
maximum of 5" width.  Profiles must be at least 60%.  Strictly speaking,
for TR3As, I'm not supposed to go above 185x15s, but nobody has said
anything about the 195 Yokos since there are so few choices within
reason.

One possibility is going back to Hossier Vintage TDs.  I've run them
before, liked the Yokos better, and the Hossiers cost a lot here.
Apparently there is an Avon tyre (CR6ZZ) which comes in an approved size
(185x15) that might be worth a look. Evidentally it is a rally tyre
primarily and although stated as a 70 profile, is really more like a 65.

Other tyres that again I strickly speaking can't use because they come
only as 195x15 but again, given the circumstances, I think I'd get away
with are Yokohama A539 (195x60R-15) and a Bridgestone RE711 (also
195x60R-15).

Finally, there's a Falken FK651 (185/65-15) which isn't currently
approved but could be pushed through if worth the trouble.

Anyway, I'd be interested in any experiences any of you might have had
with these, or any other, tyres (or tires).  Maybe there's something out
there that we're just not noticing!