fot

Re: "nyloc" v "all-metal" locking nuts

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "nyloc" v "all-metal" locking nuts
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:58:34 -0700
Andy :

There are actually quite a few different styles of "all-metal" locking
nuts, including ones with "fingers" that do the locking, and ones with
the entire body of the nut distorted.  They also differ somewhat in the
amount of torque it takes to turn them.

The ones I've got have a solid steel cone-shaped section above the
flats, that is threaded but deformed into a 3-lobed shape.  They take
noticeably more "prevailing torque" than Nylocs.  I've used them for
many years on the transmission to driveshaft flange on my street-driven
TR3A, because even new Nylocs would work loose over time.  (I suspect
I've got a pretty bad driveshaft balance problem.)  They've worked quite
well even after being reused several times, although it does appear that
the bolt threads are being worn somewhat by the nuts.  I wouldn't use
them on threads that cannot be readily replaced.

McMaster-Carr has a wide variety of locking nuts available by
mail-order.  They aren't especially cheap, but they don't mind small
orders and will even break a box if you want (on most items).  They
usually ship the same day.  Their web page at
http://www.mcmaster.com/
requires Javascript and Adobe Acrobat plug-in.  Scroll the right hand
pane down and click on 'Nuts' under 'Fastening and Sealing'.

Randall