fot

Maryhill Hillclimb

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Maryhill Hillclimb
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 09:10:21 -0700
I ran the hillclimb at Maryhill Loops in Eastern Washington this weekend.
What a hoot. Not the kind of racing I'm used to but great fun. The course
is extremely challenging. I wound up fourth fastest, with a Formula 2, a
formula ford, and a 935 Porsche ahead and about 32 cars behind. Had
trouble shifting, but Peyote was very fast on the track. I was improving
about four seconds per pass, and I think I might have picked off the
formula ford, but I couldn't make the last run--got meatballed for an oil
leak. (hey, it's a Triumph!!)

Maryhill loops was the first paved road n Washington state. It was an
experiment sponsored by a super-rich railroad guy named Sam Hill. I don't
know what the plan was, but it's a long climb, it winds like a sick snake,
and there are several places where a mistake costs you a 400 foot off road
excursion. Bill Hart was there with his Devin Triumph and did very well--I
think he was tenth for most runs. Julian Balme was also there with Wolly
Bully, his somewhat famous Carrera Panamerica Lincoln. On one run he
screeched around a few of the corners and we all jumped to our feet and
applauded.

There was a concourse on Saturday--we paraded the cars to the Maryhill
Museum under police escort--that was kind of fun too, since the cops in
the lead were definitely in the spirit--it was a brisk run, I had to flog
it to keep up. Maryhill Museum was also built by Sam Hill--a huge concrete
and iron structure, way ahead of it's time, built in the Columbia gorge at
the turn of the century. Remarkable art collection too. The same guy also
built crown point at the mouth of the Columbia gorge, the peace arch at
the Canadian border, and a huge mansion in Seattle. Quite a dude.

Peyote didn't win the concourse. One little kid came up and said "cool
car, by why is it so lumpy and bumpy". Go 'way kid, ya bother me.

Lots of Triumph people in the audience. They were astounded to find Peyote
is just a TR3 in drag. Especially given it's performance on the hill.