fot

Negative Camber and Cross Ply Tires

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Negative Camber and Cross Ply Tires
From: Wes Dayton <wdayton@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:00:30 +1000
I find that the recent notes on the subjects of Hoosier tires and
negative camber happening at the same time too tempting. I have heard
some "paddock chatter" to the tune of "negative camber is good stuff for
radials - like our much-loved Yokos - but cross bias tires don't like it
so much".

Considering the fact that I have a box full of TR6 etc suspension bits
ready to apply to the TR3A combined with the real prospect that once the
Yokos I have are worn out, the next option is likely to be Vintage TDs,
I'm starting to wonder - why am I doing this? But I always thought that
the main benefit of the negative camber was to enable the "working"
(outside) tire to work better under hard cornering, so why would it be
different for different tire types?

I know this is a vexed area that will have millions of different
answers, but I'm just curious - is there some truth to the idea that
cross-ply tires are different?