fot

Re: Don Garlits

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Don Garlits
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 12:55:53 -0500
I wonder, then, if that Speedvision interview you saw WAS referencing some
demonstration run made prior to the U.S. Nationals? And then his appearance
in that event being the truth that it was not his last run.

Garlits originally wanted to get one of his own "Swamp Rat" cars into the
race, but was unable to get it up to speed. So sometime early August IIRC he
arranged a deal with another car owner (I forget who -- could probably look
it up on the NHRA website) and got his car into the show.

He's not the oldest dog making a showing this year. Chris Karamesines ("The
Golden Greek") is in his early 70s and got into a few races this year. As a
certified Old Fartz, these guys become my heroes.  :-)

--Rocky