fot

Hallett

To: fot@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Hallett
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 07:51:20 +0000
Thanks to all for the kind words regarding uncle jack's and Tony's
experience at Hallett. It was a terrific experience to race with
Corinthian Vintage Automobile Association (CVAR) and renew friendships.
We hardly touched the car with a wrench, it ran just great, and both
Tony and I drove as well as we can, garnering two firsts and two
seconds. Regrettably for Dad, Tony's fastest lap was .2 faster than
Dad's -- oh, well.

I thought you all might be interested in some observations regarding
CVAR and Hallett:

1.  Intelligent entry fee schedule  - ranging from 1 day / 1 driver at
$150 to 2 days / 2 cars / 2 drivers at $400. We ran 2 days, 1 car, 2
drivers for $275. We also ran the test day for $150. Very intelligent
schedule.

2.  If you ever have a chance to run a CVAR event, take it. I think RMVR
is similar. Very relaxed, not an overwhelming array of rules, everybody
behaved themselves, and the two drivers who caused metal-to-metal were
immediately sent home.

3. The tech inspectors came around and inspected our car at our paddock
-- made easier with the number of entrants, of course. They did not
nit-pick, but made sure the safety stuff was right.

4. No extra fee for the drive-around at lunchtime. The track owner drove
the correct line in his pickup at 35 mph. Great learning experience.

5. Race groupings were based on the SCCA classes, which meant that we
never had Corvettes or Ferraris running in the same group with Sprites.
The schedule was really neat -- one practice session plus four races.
Hey, that's what we're there for, isn't it?

5.  Hallet is a very challenging, very interesting, very fun track of
about 2 miles for a TR4 lap time of 1:33- 1:34. It is kind of
reminiscent of Grattan and Lime Rock. Would you believe that they don't
require those irritating arm bands or gate passes? Just sign the waiver.
The owner / manager is very friendly and very visible, was in frequent
contact with competitors, and actually acted like he was glad we were
there........plus a really nice person at the gate welcoming us and
saying goodbye.......

Great way to end the season. Thanks again to Art Sommerville, the event
chairman, and all the CVAR folks and friends. We certainly want to come
back.

--

uncle jack - red, white, and New Blue