fot

Great Race 2002

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Great Race 2002
From: BRITPAC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 12:58:43 EST
For those of you interested in giving vintage rally a try, 2002 may be your
best shot at Greatrace.

The 20th anniversary running will be reduced to one week instead of it's
usual two: 7 days of racing plus the Trophy Run for practice. This is due to
the trouble of finding a primary sponsor after 9/11. The route will run from
Texas to California, June 16-22, shortening the course by 1500 miles. The
finish will be in Anaheim, the start is being decided but San Antonio is
likely. This way you only need 2 weeks including transit (or towing) time,
instead of 3.

This will also be founder Tom McRae's last race. After 20 years he is ready
to move on, and negotioations are underway to sell the franchise. Hopefully
the race will find a good benefactor and continue, but as of today 2002 is
the only sure thing.

Despite the shorter route, prize money remains about the same based on 100 or
more paid entries: $250,000.00. Private entries run $7500 to compete for the
purse, but for $4k you can race the whole route and be scored the same way by
entering 'tour' class. Tour does not compete for money but you still get the
full experience, which is well worth the money! You can also run newer cars
in tour: TR4's, TR6's, Spits, whatever you have up to '75.

A shorter race also lowers the overhead costs: hotels, food, fuel, etc. Tour
registration can be as short as one day ($500), 3 days for $1500, or the
whole deal for $4k. Several MG's and a TR4 ran the first day only in 2000,
but they were on camera and enjoyed the official start ceremonies (a grand
experience). If you are interested in running the big race for the money, a
50% deposit by 11/15 will earn a $500 discount if balance paid by 1/15/02,
but time's a wastin'.

You can get more info on the Greatrace website (greatrace.com) or e-mail me
and I'll answer any questions I can. It would be great to have a bunch of
Triumphs in this deal!

Steve & Janet Hedke
"Moss Motors Team Scrappy"
Great Race #45, 1957 Triumph TR3