fot

Re: Webers on TR-6

To: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Subject: Re: Webers on TR-6
From: Dean Tetterton <richtr@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:27:32 -0500
Now we are getting somewhere. As Ted and John say you can't beat a set of
SU's. I made the change on my 69 TR6 Many years ago and the car has never
run better. A lot of people comment how quiet my engine runs. If I wanted I
can idle this engine down to 450 RPM and doesn't miss a beat. I set it at
850 all the time. With the Su's you can get the mixture correct and can also
get more choices of needles if you run a header or different cam. Mine is a
single pipe early TR250 head with a stock cam. Drove it to Hudson, Wisconsin
from Richmond, Virginia and averaged 30.5 MPG with the OD.
Before putting on the SU's I tried a set of TR4 Strombergs with the
adjustable jet in the bottom. They worked good but I couldn't get needles
that gave me a good mixture thru the RPM range. They just aren't available
anymore. They would be OK at idle and high RPM but would stumble in the
middle. Part of the problem is the needles were profiled for the 4 cylinder
engine. Finally decided to  "Put on a set of SU's and be done with it".
Dean Tetterton
Bought my first TR3 in 64 and still have it.....