fot

Rear Spit/GT6 suspension

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Spit/GT6 suspension
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 15:27:51 -0700
Since finishing the installation of the S2000 engine, I have discovered that
the rear of the Spit is extremely low.  Not that I am complaining about
too little ground clearance, mind you, but The rear shocks are bottoming out on
the down-stroke.  I thought that if I went to Spitfire rear shocks it
would solve the problem.  However, I discovered that they are the same length
when compressed as the GT6 shocks I have on the car. (This is a rotoflex
rear from a GT6).

The spring is dearched per the competition manual so I thought it would be ok.
The S2000 engine/gearbox didn't appear to be extremely different in
weight than the 1300/gearbox it replaced.  Since it is about a foot further
back in the chassis, it is most likely weighing heavier on the rear
suspension.

So, what do you Spitfire/GT6 racers have to say about correcting the problem.

Rearch the spring?
Coil-over shocks?
Air lift shocks?

I'm all ears and ready for any logical (read, cheap!) suggestions.

Regards,
Joe (C)