fot

Re: so the story goes

To: Brad Eells <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: so the story goes
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 18:01:15 -0700
Brad Eells wrote:

> Parked outside in Massachusetts??? They rust everywhere!

Amen to that. I have a `68 VW bus which spent most of its life in
Michigan and Massachusetts. In 1988, I put patch panels all around
because the sills were seriously eaten. When I got to the front
wheelhouse tubs, I realized that but for a little rust, I would have
been skinning my ass on the front wheel. So, I made up new tubs out of
16 ga., brazed them in and liberally painted them with Xtend. I came to
New Mexico in 1990, so those 16 ga. tubs had been in the salt for only
two winters. And, here, we get about 10 inches of rain a year, and
there's no salt used except in the mountains.

In 1992, one of the front tires picked up a pebble about the size of a
pea and shot it through the front of the left tub. Completely rusted
away. Again.

But, to answer Rob's question, they rust in the usual Triumph
places--battery box, floorboards, along the fender flange seams in the
lower rear and at the inner and outer seals. Make sure to check how the
doors fit and close. If the door hinges are reasonably tight, but the
doors act as if they want to bind on closing, or the latches ride up the
striker as the door is closed, there could be a problem with the
a-posts, too.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....