fot

Re: Web Page & wheels

To: <cartravel@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: Web Page & wheels
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 21:39:09 -0600
Larry,
I was pretty certain that CVAR Group 4 allowed 1.5"'s over the PCS but I
checked the web page and you are correct. It must be new for 2002.

>GROUP 4 PRODUCTION CAR REGULATIONS
>Wheels may be 1" wider than stock width as listed in the >1972 SCCA PCS or
in manufacturers data.

I have a 72 PCS and it lists 4", so you are stuck with 5" wheels per the
rules, but I don't think anyone makes a 5" wheel. Moss and VB sell that
Mintor wheel only in 5.5".
TSI sells the Compomotive wheels in 6".

Here's what I know. All around the country people are running 5.5"
Panasports so I wouldn't expect a problem. The smallest width you can get is
5.5" than CVAR should accept that. Having said that there is a set of
50's-60's Triumph option Silverstone wheels available on eBay right now.
They are @ $500. The problem is twofold. They will go higher, much higher
and are risky since they are made of 40 year old magnesium. Not many people
race on these without x-raying for cracks. I think one out of 3 fail, and
you can't just go out and get a spare. Ask CVAR for a waiver.

FOT,
If I'm wrong about 5" wheels someone please speak up.

Bob Kramer
rgk@flash.net