fot

Re: Movie "On the Beach" Great race scene

To: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@attglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: Movie "On the Beach" Great race scene
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 02:35:55 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@attglobal.net>
To: "David & Krystal Wingett" <elkhorn@megsinet.net>
Cc: "Friend Of Triumph" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 10:16 PM

> At 07:22 PM 1/10/02 -0500, David & Krystal Wingett wrote:
>
> >             GEE,  What have I done!!!   I slept thru this Most of this
> >film!!   Please, WHAT RACE SCENE  ????   Will it be on again any time
soon?
> >Someone should have e-mailed me and told me to stay awake.  Irv C. it
must
> >have been you.  You must share in this some how!  shi*
> >         DW
>
> Sorry, I'm completely out of the loop on this one. If this is the movie I
> think it is, the only thing I remember is one of the characters
> deliberately killing himself by crashing an E Type.
>
> Irv

The gist of the movie is that the nuclear war has happened, the US and USSR
are destroyed, and the fallout is slowly spreading around the earth. Most of
it concerns a US sub (commanded by Gregory Peck) that managed to avoid most
of the carnage by being underwater. Now Australia is the last bastion before
nuclear winter destroys the planet. The race in question becomes largely an
exercise in fatalism -- nobody cares if they are going to get killed in it
(or at least Fred Astaire doesn't) because they're all gonna die anyway. But
there are still some neat cars in the race scenes.

Good (if bleak) movie from Nevil Shute's book, a fairly common anti-war
theme from the '60s (the same era that gave us "Fail-Safe" and "Dr.
Strangelove").

--Rocky