fot

Engine Simulation & Cams

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Simulation & Cams
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:56:29 -0600
A couple of weeks ago Ted Schumacher posted a note to the FOT list with a
formula for estimating horsepower based on quarter-mile speeds.

Since I couldn't seem to get the right results from the formula, Ted has
clarified it an asked me to post the revised version to the list:

To estimate your car's horsepower (accurate within 5%) based on a
quarter-mile dragstrip time, use the following formula -

    HP = ((MPH/234)^3)*(CarWeight)

Where:
    HP is horsepower at the rear wheels
    MPH is the car's speed at the end of the quarter mile
    "^3" means that you cube the results of dividing MPH by 234

As an example, if your car weighs 2000 pounds and turns the quarter at
100mph, the calculation would be:

> HP = (100/234)^3 * (2000)
> HP = (0.42735)^3 * 2000
> HP = ((0.42735) * (0.42735) * (0.42735)) * 2000
> HP = 0.0780 * 2000
> HP = 156

(Use your favorite formula for converting rear-wheel horsepower to hp at the
flywheel.)

Of course if you're only interested in knowing whether a particular
modification has affected horsepower, you can also use the "Max Balchowski"
method - From a standing start on Mulholland Drive . . . well, you know the
rest.

Jim Hill
Madison WI