fot

RE: Cylinder head thickness / reinforcement

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cylinder head thickness / reinforcement
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 16:41:43 -0600
I have a head that used to belong to Jack Wheeler.  It is milled
0.175".  It is "pinned".  The way Jack described it to me, to "pin" the
head, you drill and tap a number of small holes around the circumference of
the combustion chamber directly over where the head would mate to the
liner, opposite the combustion chamber.  You use long, hardened set screws,
coat them with epoxy, thread them through until they hit the other side of
the water jacket and then mill the head.

In my head, you can see round shiny patches on the surface of the head that
are the "pins".  I'll try to describe the locations of the pins: there are
2 or 3 of them inboard of the water jacket hole closest to the exhaust
valve.  There is one on the opposite side of the combustion chamber of both
of the valves.  Total of 4 or 5 per combustion chamber.  I've posted a
description and a crude drawing of the pin locations on my website.
Description and thumbnail picture is at the bottom of the following page:
http://www.tonydrews.com/Tony_Car.htm
The full size drawing is at: http://www.tonydrews.com/Tr-4_head_pins.jpg

My knowledge of this is based on one head and the description that Jack
verbally told me.  If others have better descriptions, or alternate
(better) locations for the pins, or other descriptions on what you do to
glue the pins into the head, or other ways of reinforcing the head, I'm
extremely interested them.

- Tony Drews