fot

Re: Desktop Dyno

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Desktop Dyno
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:11:00 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

If you've ever played with teh computer program "desktop dyno", you've no
doubt come across the question: "what sort of airflow can you get through
a Weber DCOE 40 or SU or Z.S. 175, etc.?"

It turns out that this number is "really important" in the cacluation. No
surprise there really, but when I went to all my books (like Passini and
other Weber books), I could not find a number for the flow rate.

I'm guessing that 300 CFM is probably correct for a twin-choke DCOE 40
Weber, but I'd like more than a guess for these calculations.

This is really being done as a "shits and grins" type of calculation, but
I'd appreciate any feedback that anyone can provide. I do recall the
subject came up on the list once in the past, I don't recall any
conclusion from the discussion.

On the plus side, it looks like it's fairly easy to make a 200 HP TR6. On
the bad side, I had to "cheat" the software into calculating the engine
dislpacement. Apparently, the creators of Desktop Dyno never figured that
anyone would build an enine whose bore was less than 3.00 inches. As you
may know, that is .060 less than the TR6 bore (2.940) (and presumably
Spitfire 1500.) Yikes.

Go figure.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |